Sunday, September 23, 2012

Trainning Day


Working as a wok cook is scary plain and simple. I've always been of the mentality push your limits because that’s the only way you'll learn. Some people however refer to this as biting off more than you can chew. My first day training as a wok cook was petrifying. I was being trained by a kid only a little older than me maybe 25 pierced eyebrows and lips with a tattoo sleeve going up his arm. His movements were quick and precise, and to me everything was a blur. Demonstrating a dish he said “add oil to the wok, let it heat up, add the chicken and cook it for 5 min, while the chicken is cooking take your vegetable and blanch them in the stock pot, remove the chicken, drain the oil, add your aromatics, add your sauce, heat it up, then add your chicken, lastly add the vegetable and toss together for 2 more minutes.” Looking over at me he said "got it? Good, now your turn". Half looking in awe I knew I was in trouble. Not only is all that information a lot to handle but now imagine having to remember 25 dishes and all the exact ingredients. It was starting to look like I had bitten off more than I could chew.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment